Friday, July 27, 2012

Background of Philippians

Hey guys I'm planning to start a study of Philippians to put up on this blog! This post will get to the study in a minute but i just wanted to let you know my plans. I feel God has led me to start this online blog study thing for others to read. That way i can share what God has shown me with many others! :) I plan to post at least weekly preferably more, but no promises. But anyway let's get started. I wanna do a little background on the book to make sure we get the context of what's happening here. We can gather from the text itself that this book was written by Paul, with Timothy, to the church in Philippi (obviously), and that he was in jail when he wrote it. That's about it for background from Philippians. But then there are things like MacArthur study bibles (praise God for them amen?) that give us more information. It is generally accepted that Paul wrote this book during his first imprisonment in Rome and around the same time he wrote Ephesians, Colossians, and Philemon (60-62 A.D.) I'm not sure if that's entirely important, but it's in the MacArthur study notes so i'll include it here :) There's also a lot of information about what was going in Philippi around this time, but I can't fit all that here so we'll skip it. If you really want to know every little detail, just google it and it will show up I'm sure. The reason i shared all this is just so we can look at the whole book in light of this. For instance, Paul was in prison during the writing of Philippians, but the underlying tone of the entire letter is joyful! Just one example of context making a difference. The main theme of the letter is putting on Christ-likeness. Well, i don't think i have much more background information. Next time we'll be diving right into chapter 1. I'm looking forward to it! ~ The Disciple Jesus Loves

No comments:

Post a Comment